Protect the future of New Jersey’s Pinelands
Many individuals and couples who love New Jersey’s Pinelands see the Pinelands Preservation Alliance (PPA) as their champion in saving the Pines forever. To ensure our work continues, they have included PPA in their estate plans.
Since our founding more than thirty years ago, bequests have made an enormous difference to PPA’s work. These extraordinary gifts have enabled us to weather recessions, carry out special projects, and stay at work as your advocate for the Pines day in and day out, year in and year out.
Ways of Giving
Depending on your circumstances and what you would like to accomplish, there are many different planned giving strategies that can be considered in consultation with your estate attorney.
Gifts Through Your Will
Leaving a bequest to PPA in your will is a simple way to create a conservation legacy. You can do this in many ways, including:
- A bequest in your will stating a definite amount, assets like stock or real estate, or a percentage of your estate,
- Making the Alliance a beneficiary of a revocable trust, retirement plan, or a life insurance plan,
- Directing a gift to the Alliance through a donor advised fund or private foundation.
The benefits of this approach are:
- Your assets remain in your control during your lifetime.
- You can direct your bequest to a particular purpose.
- There is no upper limit on the estate tax deductions that can be taken for charitable bequests.
Charitable Gift Annuities
Charitable gift annuities are a way to leave a gift in your will but have the benefit of income from your assets, while gaining significant tax benefits, during your lifetime. PPA works with the Community Foundation of New Jersey to ensure charitable gift annuities are administered to the highest standard.
The benefits of this approach are:
- You receive annuity payments during your lifetime.
- You also receive tax benefits at the time you create the annuity and each year after that, including federal income tax deductions and avoidance of federal and state inheritance taxes.
Estate plans should be prepared by and with the advice of an attorney to ensure that your intentions are carried out. If you do not know an estate law attorney, we can suggest ways to identify an attorney you would like to work with.
Sample language for Wills and Estate Plans
“I bequeath to the Pinelands Preservation Alliance, Inc. (PPA), a non-profit organization, with its principal offices located at 17 Pemberton Road, Southampton, NJ, the sum of $__ (0r % of my residuary estate) to be used at the discretion of its governing body for PPA’s ongoing work to preserve the natural and cultural resources of New Jersey’s Pinelands.”
Please note the sample language above should be written or adapted by legal counsel to fit your individual situation.
Additional Information for Your Attorney
Legal Name: Pinelands Preservation Alliance, Inc.
Address: 17 Pemberton Road, Southampton, NJ 08088
Tax ID#: 52-1641512
The Pinelands Preservation Alliance is a 501(c)(3) tax-exempt, not-for-profit organization.
We would be happy to speak with you and answer any questions you might have. And we would love the opportunity to thank you personally for your generosity. PPA has established the Pinelands Legacy Society to recognize those who have made these special gifts to the organization. For further information, or to let us know about your gift, please contact Kellie Westervelt, Director of Philanthropy by phone at 609-859-8860 ext 124 or by email at Kellie@pinelandsalliance.org.
Request More Information
Fill out this short online form to request more information about including the Pinelands Preservation Alliance in your estate plans.